Monday 2 September 2013

It's the most wonderful time!

It's the most wonderful time...

Monday September 2nd 2013

Dear friends:
Despite the fact that I am (semi) retired, I still feel it. 

That certain something in the air (although in our neck of the woods, we're getting another blast of summer. No crisp fall air yet...)

Remember the Staples ad? Well I think for us as educators it is the "most wonderful time of the year". I actually use to resent that ad. Not because of the joyful parent, but the tragic sadness of the children as they (gulp) return to hell... er school.

But we can't avoid that reality I guess. I mean, it is  part of our culture.
The death of summer heralded by the Grim Reaper called education. 
I remember every Labour Day Monday, our next door neighbours would invite us over to shoot off some fireworks
The ending would always be the same. The last fire work was...

And we loved it!!! But then it was time to go to bed, because the next morning, our freedom was gone.

Happy New Year!
As educators (I hope!) we have a slightly different espirit. This is a time of new hope and promise. Of energy and enthusiasm. Of mission and vision. Happy New Year!!

It is ironically a time when we need to pause.  We all hit the ground running don't we? Year plans, lesson plans, staff meetings, student lists, getting our own kids ready for school. Pausing is the last thing on our minds.
I felt it just last week when I was at an opening PD session at Red Deer Catholic. The energy was incredible! Education was on the move for another year!

No time to pause for us as educators.

But Scripture is very clear

The School Bus on the Road To Emmaus


So really this is what this blog is about. Taking just a little time each week to pause and reflect, asking ourselves:
What does God have in store for me this day/week/month/year/?
How can Jesus show me the way?
How can I let the Holy Spirit guide my life?

Sometimes we drive our school bus at breakneck speed. Like the disciples on the road to Emmaus, we risk missing the story. And the Storyteller.
 So this blog is an invitation to, as Terry Hershey would say "press the pause button." 


Change is good. 
(Especially if it's in your pocket)
Last year, I devoted all the posts to the Sunday Gospel, and provided some reflections and action plans for the week. This year, I'll do some of that, but also connect with Church teachings on education, liturgy, sacraments, social issues- you name it.
 Please.

You name it! 

Because, if, as an adult Catholic educator, you have some burning/troubling questions, odds are you are not alone. Drop me an e-mail at mmarien@me.com 
and I'll include the idea/question/issue in and upcoming blog.

For this week:
Read Luke 24:13-35 sometime tomorrow. Write down a line that speaks to you. Pray it like a mantra.
On Friday, read it again.
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment