Sunday 5 May 2013

Show and Tell.

Show and Tell.

"Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.." John 14. 23
Gospel for the 6th Sunday of Easter: John 14.23--29
First of all, my apologies if you were looking last week for the blog- it appears that I forgot to press "publish"!!! No matter, for there is a very nice reflective "flow" between the two passages from John. I will, however, keep this one a little shorter.
Last week's Gospel expressed the love Jesus has for us, which is a love we must extend to the world. This Sunday the passage from John begins with the quote above. To highlight its importance, the acclamation that prepares us for the hearing of the Gospel is this very same John 14.23.

Jesus gives us a simple, yet challenging, way to show our love for Him. - Keep my word. If you don't love me, you won't keep my word.

What exactly is he saying? It becomes very clear when you consider how we love each other. I saw a YouTube of Fr. Michael "Catfish" Mireau recently that put it quite well- saying you love someone, without showing your love is empty, and showing love without expressing it is meaningless. That is why God gave us the Word, and the Sacraments- especially the Eucharist. This is the beauty of the Divine Love that we celebrate every Sunday- it is God's "Show and Tell" ( or more accurately, "Tell and Show"). And it is up to us to carry that into the world. 

Did you know that the word "Mass" comes from the Latin expression "Missa est"It is what the priest says at the end of our liturgy. "Go, the Mass is ended," really  means "Go, and missa est- be sent forth and be Eucharist for the world!!!"

 It is not enough just to say "I love God" without the action of loving neighbour and the world. 

It is not enough to "Be a good Christian"   and perform acts of Christian virtue and generosity, without letting the world know why you do the things you do.

You have to show and tell.

And it is through the Eucharist that you will receive all the strength you need to do it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment