Monday 22 April 2013

We're in Good Hands

We're In Good Hands


"No one will snatch them out of my hand." John 10.29
 
 
Gospel for the Fourth Sunday of Easter: John 10.27-30
 
Of the three Gospels for this "Good Shepherd" Sunday in our three year cycle, this one is the shortest, but perhaps the most powerful. Let us use these four verses of Scripture to meditate on their power...
 
v.27 "My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me."
 
Years ago, my wife and I had the wondeful experience of going to a sheep station in New Zealand, where we met a sheep rancher. Although there are few similarities between the modern rancher and the ancient shepherd, there is one that is profound. I sensed in the modern rancher a deep affection for his herd. I also noticed a sense of peace that pervaded this particular ranch. I suppose the biggest difference between the modern and the ancient shepherd is the rancher's use of the border collie, who was the one who seemed to be doing all the work!!
 
In ancient times, and in some parts of the world today, dogs were not part of the relationship. A shepherd who is good to his sheep would have no trouble having them follow him.
 
Jesus uses the shepherd metaphor in John's Gospel at the precise moment when the Jews want him to "tell them plainly" if he is the Messiah (v.24). In verse 27, it is plain indeed - if they had not "heard" in their hearts through his words and actions by now, then they would never "hear" the voice of the Shepherd, or the Father.
 
How I hear the voice of the Shepherd? Do I "know" Jesus, or merely "know about" him?
 
 
v.28 "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand."
 
I think it is important here to observe the syntax. It is not " I will give them eternal life" but " I give them eternal life." This was the Good News that John's community needed to hear,a time when the early Christians were in constant threat of persecution and death. Life eternal is not merely for the future. The life lived right now is a life in the Trinity.
Through our Baptism, we enter into the eternal life of Jesus Christ!
 
And that eternal life is sealed in our Confirmation.
 
It finds its "source and summit" in the Eucharist.
 
"No one will snatch them out of my hand" doesn't mean that we can't, through our sinfulness, stray from the Shepherd. He wants us close to his heart.
 
That is why we celebrate the sacrament of Reconciliation.
 
Do I recognize the gift of eternal life that I have received? Are the sacraments merely merit badges on my Catholic sleeve, or do I experience their grace daily and offer prayers of gratitude for my life in the Spirit?
 
v 29-30 "What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father's hand. The Father and I are one."
 
And it is at this point that the Jews "took up stones again to stone him" (v.31). At the beginning of this scene, they are asking him if he is the Messiah, and now that he has told them, they want to kill him??
Is this a case of "be careful what you ask for"?
 
Not quite. It is the recurring theme in all the Gospels. The expectations that the people had of  "Messiah" and "King" were of a new David, who would overthrow any and all tyrannies and give them back the great kingdom they once had.
 
Jesus did more than just dash their expectations. He shattered them. By saying that "The Father and I are one" is to put skin on God! Who dares call God "Father" but one who proclaims that he is the Son of God??
 
What is so ironic here is that they are  enraged by this proclamation, but they miss the ultimate point. Not only are Jesus and the Father One, but those who enter into the life of Jesus, enter into the life of the Father!! It will take a while for the Church to articulate this as life in the Trinity.
 
What is my  life in the Trinity? Is the Trinity a mysterious "concept" or an experience of Divine Love?
 
For Catholic educators:
 Get to know the work of the great religious educator Sophia Cavalletti (1917-2011) who created an entire catchesis of the Good Shepherd. http://www.cgsusa.org/
 
For all disciples:  As part of your prayer life this week, contemplate the questions in today's meditation. allow the Holy Spirit to move you into a deeper relationship with the Good Shepherd. Know always that you are in good hands.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment