Monday 11 March 2013

God Comes Running...

"...But while he was far off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him..." Luke 15.20

Gospel for the 4th Sunday of Lent: Luke 15.1-3, 11-32 (http://www.catholic.org/bible/book.php?id=49&bible_chapter=15)
 
Growing up in Brampton Ontario in the 60's, there were limited options for parents who wanted to send their kids to a Catholic school. For the Marien boys, it meant a trek of a couple of miles from the newly developed suburb to St. Mary's elementary, closer to the downtown. The trek was not uphill both ways, we had shoes in the dead of winter, and we were never attacked by wild animals. For little kids, it was long, but never a hardship.

One fall day, there was a little bit of a communication mix-up. My two older brothers had, for reasons that escape me, left their six year old brother at the school. After waiting around for a half an hour, I decided to start heading back home by myself. I knew the way, and from my six-year old perspective, didn't think much of what lay ahead. I was simply miffed at my brothers. 

About twenty minutes down the road, I see Mom running (!) towards me. With tears in her eyes she hugged me tight and kissed me. I still wasn't sure what the big deal was about, but I was glad that Mom was with me for the rest of the way. It was only later that I realized that she must have run at least a mile and half to get to me so quickly. As for my brothers, well, they never forgot me at the school again!

The parable of the Prodigal Son and the Forgiving Father reminded me of my little adventure. Take a look at the image at the top of the page once again. When you Google images of the Prodigal Son, you will find many of father and son in embrace, but this was the only one that I could find which shows the father running to the son. I'll come back to this image, but first, some reflections on the parable. Remember that Jesus' parables are not merely stories, or symbolic riddles to "figure out". They are multilevel narratives that will reveal many meanings to us when we are open to receiving them. Here are some meanings around the characters for you to consider:

The prodigal, at one level, are the ones such as the sinners who Jesus associates with in Luke's Gospel. The Pharisees condemn Jesus for his table-fellowship with tax collectors and prostitutes. Jesus is reminding the Pharisees that these sinners are on the path to conversion, and are going back to the Father. After squandering all that Father has given them, they recognize their sinfulness and look for mercy. 
As always, we see ourselves as the prodigal, when we open ourselves to God's mercy and ask for forgiveness of our sins.

The older brother are the Pharisees, and the whole of Israel, who cannot stand the fact that Father would love sinners that much. In a sense, they condemn themselves by "refusing to go in" to the banquet (15.28). The older is angry, and we start to wonder just how much he really loves the Father at all. Notice when the older brother says "Listen, I have working like a slave for you, and I have never disobeyed your command, yet you never given me even a young goat so that I might celebrate with my friends. (15.29-30). He doesn't want to celebrate with his Father?? He sees himself as a slave?? 
We see ourselves  as the older brother, whenever we become self-righteous, whenever we feel that God "owes us", and whenever we harbor ill feelings and jealousy towards our neighbor.
And, the true central character of the piece... 
The forgiving father, who, after being completely wounded by the prodigal runs to greet him, and not only forgives, but celebrates with all the riches he has to offer. For Jesus' audience, and for most of us, this is sheer madness! What, no punishment? At least give the boy what he expects! Make him a slave so he can "pay back"!
Jesus reveals the truly unbelievable mercy  of the Father, a Father who rejoices when the son comes back...
Back from the dead. The parable now has a powerful new twist. Jesus is the prodigal, although without sin, suffers and dies for the sins of the many. And now he "celebrates" with the Father, and is "seated at His right hand". 
Do we see ourselves as the forgiving father? Do we show the mercy and forgiveness that our Father has for us? After all, isn't that the core petition of our greatest prayer- "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..."???

Read and pray over this parable again.
 Remember that when we turn back to God, God will come running like a loving father. 

Or mother :) 
  
For this week
For Catholic educators "on the School Bus to Emmaus"
Talk about the discipline policy in your school with your colleagues, and talk about it with your students. Does the discipline your school and your classroom reflect the mercy of the forgiving Father?
For all of us
Pray the "Our Father" slowly and carefully. Pause when you reach the part about forgiveness. Ask Jesus to help you forgive those who have wounded you. Reconcile yourself with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment